The Vietnamese summer rolls are like the classic Vietnamese rolls made from rice waffles usually made with raw vegetables, rice vermicelli, shrimp or other fish. They have the shape and appearance of the spring rolls of Chinese cuisine, but are consumed raw rather than fried, and are often accompanied by a slightly spicy sauce made from soy and peanuts.
First you must get the sheets of rice waffles, now available in most supermarkets, and then prepare so many sticks of your favorite vegetables. For example, I used radicchio, carrots, cucumbers, bean sprouts and mint leaves, and I accompanied them with a soy sauce with mustard and sesame seeds.
There are no rules for this recipe, any vegetable you decide to use the result will be excellent! 🙂 The one I give you is a basic recipe, which you can modify as you like, adding for example cooked shrimps or tofu marinated, or you can prepare a different sauce with oil, salt and lemon 🙂
Ingredienti for 12 rolls
- 12 sheets of small rice paper
- 4 radicchio leaves
- 2 cucumbers
- 3 carrots
- fresh mint leaves
Ingredienti for the sauce
- soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons of mustard
- toasted sesame seeds
- Prepare all the ingredients cut into very thin julienne.
- Wash the mint leaves and set aside.
- When everything is ready you can start with the preparation of the rolls. Prepare a cutting board where you will place the waffles. Take a rice wafer and immerse it in the water and then place it on the work surface.
- Place the ingredients in random order in the lower part, and start to close the roll. Repeat the procedure for all 12 rolls. HERE there is a video demonstration if you are a beginner.
- Put the rolls in the fridge for half an hour before serving them. In the meantime you can prepare the sauce by first roasting the sesame seeds, and then adding them to the soy sauce and mustard.