After the success of the cabbage with turmeric and ginger I thought to make another recipe of the season, but this time baked in the oven: the green cauliflower gratin. After a very short steaming the cauliflowers are ready to be baked in the oven, and they are simply delicious! Ok, I’m biased, I love all kinds of cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower, but baked in the oven are really the top.
The cauliflower being cooked in the oven and lightly steamed at the beginning, keeps intact all its beneficial properties. There are several varieties of cauliflower, each with specific characteristics. In the box of Zolle this time I found the green cauliflower, whose typical color is given by the presence of chlorophyll. This cauliflower, compared to the common white cauliflower, promotes the production of hemoglobin and can help to counteract anemia.
It can be eaten both cooked and raw, perhaps thinly sliced and marinated.
Needless to say, they are really too good and you have to try them absolutely 🙂
- 2 small cauliflowers
- 1 clove of garlic
- vegetable bechamel q.b.
- nutritional yeast q.b.
- chili pepper
- Wash the cauliflowers and divide the tops.
- Steam the cauliflower tops for about 4-5 minutes. Drain and pass them under cold water.
- Put the garlic and pepper in a frying pan. Add the tops of cauliflower, salt and sauté for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, take the béchamel and add nutmeg and mix.
- Place the cauliflowers in the cocotte as the first layer, then cover with a little ‘béchamel sauce and a few nutritional yeast flakes. Create a second layer of tops covered with an abundant layer of béchamel. Season with pepper and bake at 200 degrees for 10 minutes. The last 2 minutes activate the grill function to create a crispy crust on the surface.